The Windows Vista Service Pack 1 was released on Tuesday, March 18 2008 as expected. Its now available as download from Microsoft. The SP1 was released amid high expectations. Here’s what you need to know before downloading the SP1:
The SP1 download size:
The service pack download is available in two modes and size varies according to the mode:
1. Windows Update(Approx. 65 MB for 32 bit editions & 125 MB for 64 bit editions)- You can get it from Windows Update. Microsoft recommends this method for home & small business users. To get the update click the ‘Start’ button on the taskbar, then ‘All Programs’ & in the list click ‘Windows Update’.
2. Standalone Installer(Approx. 435 MB for 32 bit editions & 730 MB for 64 bit editions)- You can download it as a standalone installer from Microsoft’s website. Microsoft recommends this method for System Administrators & PCs without internet access.
New systems will be available with SP1 installed. Microsoft has also released New DVDs with SP1 integrated.
There are a number of prerequisites for installing the SP1:
1. Atleast 7 GB of free on the partition where Windows Vista is installed. This is usually C drive.
2. Beta versions of SP1 must be un-installed.
3. Notebooks & other battery powered computers must be connected to mains for installing the service pack.
Author- Rajbir Singh
The information in this post is obtained from Microsoft’s Knowledge Base by the author.
Information on unauthorized service pack sources:
The Microsoft Download Center site is your only authorized web source for downloading a licensed copy of Windows Vista Service Pack 1. To report a website offering unlicensed copies of Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for download, please send e-mail to: [email protected] or visit http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ReportingUs.mspx.